Public Liability

Every day, you can visit numerous ‘public places’ such as walking down the street, going to a supermarket or taking your child to a park.

You have a right to enjoy public places without the risk of injury. The person, business or organisation responsible for the area must take reasonable steps to ensure the public’s safety.


If you have had an accident or have suffered a personal injury on public property, you make a claim on the public liability policy of the owner.

If you have any questions call our friendly team on 0208 313 5111.

Public Liability covers the following types of claim:

  • Slips and trips (slippery or wet floors in shops)

  • Falls (broken steps, potholes in roads and paths,  faulty slides or swings at parks)

  • Burns/scalds (hot water taps, hot drink spills in cafes)

  • Chemical burns (contact injuries from chemicals/cleaning agents)

  • Dangerous pathways (ice and snow, broken paving stones, tree stumps)

  • Door injuries (fingers trapped in faulty doors)

  • Glass injuries (shattered or broken glass in public places)

  • Hazardous materials (asbestos exposure)

  • Inhalation injuries (chemical fumes inhalation)

  • Lift/escalator accidents (sudden stops or drops)

  • Obstructions (shopping trolleys, rubbish, tree stumps)

  • Whiplash injuries (faulty fairground rides)